Monday, May 10, 2010

GREAT BOOKS FOR PHOTOGRAPHY LOVERS!

, I know, you haven't heard much from me lately.  Remember I am new to this and am trying to find the time to work in  blog writing along with mothering four children, juggling the PTA duties I have as VP of Ways & Means, photography shoots, photography edits, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, homework with kids, time for husband, nursing baby and preparing for my neighborhood spring Yard Sale!  Did I say YARD SALE?!  Yup!  I did!  The only thing I love more than getting money from de-cluttering my house at our nieghborhood yard sale is finding other peoples random junk at a steal of a price and RE-cluttering my house! LOL!  Anyone else have this problem?  Ah, well...it's the little things that make me happy (and crazy!) hehehe.  Anyhow, I've decided for now that nursing time seems as good as any to write so I'm going to try to keep these short and to the point and hope to pass along some good tips I have learned to you during my 15 minutes of sit down time!

I've been reading this GREAT book by Scott Kelby that introduces you to basic digital SLR photography in a light, easy to follow book with quick tips for most situations along with snappy photos that speak to you.  I have loved reading this book so much that I just ordered books 2 & 3 and can't wait to receive them!  They are easy to read in the carpool line while waiting for the kids, at the doctors office and even the bathroom (I told you I don't have a lot of "free" time! LOL!  ;-) So, if you are wanting to learn more about photography and don't have the time to read a long 'wordy' book about photography and want to pick up so me quick tips from the pros, I HIGHLY recommend this book and most likely the other two as well!  He has a fun quirky sense of humor that keeps me interested and awake unlike many technical "know-how" books I have read. It's pretty dang affordable too and I am super glad I found them.  He also includes recommendations he has for accessories and breaks them down into 3 categories (small budget, medium budget, no budget!) so you can get the best tested accessory/equipment for your personal budget!  Each page focuses on a different tip/topic and includes a photo for demonstration.  He speaks in an easy to follow tone that makes you feel like you have a good friend that just so happens to be an awesome professional photographer that is sharing his top tips with you for taking amazing pictures.  He teaches you how to get your photos "tack-sharp", how to shoot portraits, waterfalls, weddings, landscapes and more without losing you in a huge page filled with words.  He also makes you laugh a little while you learn (one one page he talks about the importance of shooting at dawn & dusk and mentions that when someone asked a National Geographic Photographer if that was really the only times to shoot landscapes, he beat the man with his tripod-he was totally joking, but made his point while getting a chuckle out of me.) ;-)


I also just ordered the tripod he recommended from amazon (in my price budget) and can't wait to get it as I know I won't regret it since it has been recommended by someone (my new friend-lol) who has so much experience in photography and is probably thinking about alot more than I would when looking at tripods!  I also ordered a wireless remote and am looking forward to doing some slow shutter shooting that will be "Tack-Sharp"!  I will definitely post these pics as soon as I take them!!  Anyhow, I hope you take the time to pick up a copy of at least the first book...I don't think I have learned more from anything else I have tried (including classes at the University!) and I am actually thinking about taking his online courses next because I like his style so much!  Good luck to you all, hope you are all clicking that shutter button as often as I am!

No comments:

Tunes


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones